Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> IDE Drive recognition
pavon
post Jun 29 2008, 04:38 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,533

I am in the process of wiping some old IDE drives before taking them to be recycled/disposed, using the `shred /dev/sda' command. Right after I started one of them I had a power outage (caused by clumsy foot). Now my BIOS won't auto-recognize the drive (presumably because the drive info has been overwritten). When I manually specify the drive geometry in the BIOS it gives me a "Harddisk Diagnostic Failure". In both cases Linux does not detect the drive. I've also tried specifying the drive geometry in the boot options (sda=790,15,57) with no luck (is this even used anymore in 2.6?). I'm using C,H,S values penned onto the drive - not sure if they are what was actually being auto-detected before, but the total size is correct.

I'd really like to finish wiping this drive before I get rid of it. Any ideas on how I can force linux to see the drive, or how to get the BIOS to accept it?

In case it is usefull, the system I am using to do this is an AMD K6-2 with an AWARD BIOS, booting the System Rescue CD (normal 32 bit linux rescuecd, not one of the other boot images).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 08:11 AM