Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Two Node Cluster w/VMware
krash2k
post May 24 2008, 02:02 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,483

Currently I am running one windows xp box and another linux system. I use the windows to develop php websites and the linux box to test them. I would like to change this to increase the performance of them both. I am not 100% on how it would work but I was wanting to know if anyone has any good how-to or tutorials on setting up a 2 node cluster with linux and using VMware for windows virtualization on the master node. This way I get a little more power and can still do my work and test it out.

Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
linest
post Jul 7 2008, 07:52 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,547

QUOTE (krash2k @ May 24 2008, 02:02 PM) *
Currently I am running one windows xp box and another linux system. I use the windows to develop php websites and the linux box to test them. I would like to change this to increase the performance of them both. I am not 100% on how it would work but I was wanting to know if anyone has any good how-to or tutorials on setting up a 2 node cluster with linux and using VMware for windows virtualization on the master node. This way I get a little more power and can still do my work and test it out.

Thanks in advance.

The easy answer is to buy VMware ESX server. It's built to do this. And you probably need a SAN for the shared storage. OH! You were looking for an answer that doesn't cost $100,000 to get started!

There are different types of clusters. Some are designed to provide high availability ( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux-HA ) but they generally do not help performance. The clusters that are built for performance are built with specific expectations about the applications that I'm not sure VMware server would conform to. For instance, load balancing clusters assume that all the clustered computers are in an identical state (same processes, data etc.) and Beowulf clusters assume that you'll write cluster-aware software.

The (proprietary) clustering solution that is included with VMware ESX server primarily provides high availabilty. Linux-HA is conceptually similar to that.

You'll need to do something for shared storage. There are many inexpensive options. An nfs server, a shared scsi/usb/firewire bus would all be inexpensive. I REALLY think this is a neat solution for shared storage: http://www.openfiler.com/ , but it's probably overkill for what you're doing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 06:06 AM