Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Accidentally erased XP instead of installing alongside it., Disk Partitions
jericho217
post Mar 29 2008, 12:54 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,405

So while trying to install Linux (Ubuntu) alongside my current XP installation, while playing around with the partitions, I must have accidentally deleted everything on my 250G hard drive (it sucks but it's not terrible since I backed up everything), and it's divided into 3 partitions now; the first one labeled Linux, the second one is unnamed and contains about 5000 MB (don't know how or why that happened) and the third one is a small one labeled "Linux Swap" or something along those lines (don't know how or why this happened either). I guess I really didn't know what I was doing, so this is just the way things turned out. After I figured out what I did, I sat here and sighed for a while, and afterwards, played with Linux to get everything the way I wanted it.

Now, this is what I need help with. Although I do like Linux and I want to keep it on my system, I also want to re-install XP (I have the discs and everything so that should be no problem) because I need it for certain programs that aren't going to work on Linux. I'm afraid, however, that when I attempt to do this, when dealing with the partitions, I'll erase Linux or screw something else up.

So the question is, basically, what's the deal with my current partitions? What did I do wrong when installing Linux that I should avoid in the future? And how should I re-install XP and avoid messing anything up with Linux? Basically, if anyone can take the time to explain partitions to me, that would be great.

I realize this is sort of an easy question, but it's just not something I have ever dealt with before so I want to make sure I have it under control.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 08:04 AM