Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Console
lol
post Mar 19 2008, 03:21 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,390

Hi all,

I am Very New to Linux.
I have Ubuntu linux thing.. installed with wubi.
I have Dual-boot. ( Windows. or Linux ) ( now windows T_T )
I have NO internet on Linux, because I cannot install my driver.

The problem:

- I have to install some .tar.gz files, with the CONSOLE ( I have admin pass).
But I have no idea where the '' console'' ever might be. ( This is probally the funniest thing you al hear tongue.gif ).
And if I find the console, what must I type in for install the .tar.gz files ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
tweakNsqueak
post Mar 24 2008, 02:38 AM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
From: Virginia - the vacinity of the Greater Washington DC Metropolitan Area
Member No.: 13,392

I don't know if this will help, but I'm running Mandriva on a KDE desktop and found what appears to be my terminal being called a "terminal emulator" as a panel applet and a "terminal program" listed under "system" in the applications menu (you know, what the "start" button is to Windows). I don't know if this access through the shell may inhibit some UNIX commands as does DOS used through the Windows shell. Who knows. We'll find out eventually. I'll try to be as graphic as possible with the following.

If Ubuntu is simlar, you may find it exactly here:

Select your applications panel
select System
select Terminal Program

In a more universal language, the icon should look like a computer display but with a black screen and probably a white carot (>) and cursor (-).

Another place you might find access is as an applet to the "panel". You know, the panel usually along the bottom of the screen. Placing an applet "button" there will give you easy access whenever you want. My mouse over my "terminal emulator" button says, "Konsole - Terminal Program".

To add an applet to your panel, place your mouse on it, right click and select "panel menu". Then select "add applet to panel". You should then see several applets available to make a shortcut or button available on your panel. You'll probably see in this list the terminal icon called "terminal sessions: menu for starting a terminal emulator". That should be it.

If Ubuntu is nothing like Mandriva, this still might give you an idea of what you might look for. If nothing else, you might want to type "Konsole", "terminal", "terminal emulator" or "terminal session" in your help search engine. Similarly, if the first set of instructions applies to your panel, you can place "help" there the same way. By right-clicking the panel, selecting "panel menu" and "add application to panel" and then "documentation", to add "help" to your panel. Notice there are both applets and applications available to your panel in this way. You'll see what's offered in the list for both. Help should be able to be found the same way through the K menu (applications, tasks and desktop sessions), simply there selecting "documentation" and "help" most likely. I've found "help" most useless on my system so far. Near everything I click on says there's no documentation available, even after building the index. I'm sure I'll find out the story there eventually.

I don't know what type of modem you are trying to install, but if it is dial-up, be aware that Conexant only offers Linux users a driver that one must pay for and is not offered freely in most OS's if not until now. I'm pretty sure it's $20, although I found mine existing on my system one day after literally physically installing a Lucent when I gave up. I don't know if it was on a Utility CD I had paid for and was using, or if I accidently hacked it with some ancient freeware I use to download when I was doing searches. I did several things that day. But when I found it, it was listed as "cnxtinstall" and with one click it installed itself and here I am.

Also, when I first installed my OS, the system asked that I initially select several things, one of which was the type of connection I'd be using. I thought it to be ISP, but it was the last selection, my memory is poor. If all else fails, you might want to try an alternative connection other than what you've selected, through the connection wizard if you think this might be the key. Make sure you write down what you did and where to go back and undo it if you find yourself unsuccessful and you were right in the first place. I've found unfamiliarity makes it really hard to reproduce actions once you've found them and leave. Getting back again can be a brain-rattler.

Anyway, in realizing and finally selecting the proper connection, my OS did a search and told me what modem I had (although I knew), looked for the driver and informed me of its status. (In other words, not there, needing to buy it - with the Lucent, needing to download it.) Finally, with the right connection source and the Conexant driver, I was on my way.

Again, I don't know if any of this will help, as I was only hatched last week myself. Hope something works, regardless. (For both of us, I might add.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 09:51 AM