Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need help from a sendmail guru, FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients') enhancements
Jeff3558
post Feb 14 2008, 04:00 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,334

Let me start by saying I know little to nothing about linux. However, I know exactly what I want to do and believe it is relatively simple I just have no idea where to begin the attack.
I want to add a host to a blacklist so my server will refuse a connection from them when an attempt is made to send a mail to a recipient in the FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients').
Simply using the blacklist recipients is not working reliably, I get a tremendous amount of spam to my primary address and a good bit of it is sent to a few addresses that could be blacklisted.
I think this would relieve my server of a lot of spam as well as reducing the server load created by Spam Assassin which misses a good portion of them anyway.
That should be clear bu just in case this is the flow I want to create (if an equivalent isn't already out there already).

1 -> Remote system connects to send mail.
2 -> Mail is to an address in the blacklist recipients.
3 -> Add the host to (I'm guessing here) the sendmail reject table
4 -> If at all possible drop the connection from them at that point since they obviously are not sending anything I want.

Alternatively if easier write the host to a text file and I can manually update the sendmail reject list from that.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chrisw
post Feb 16 2008, 10:34 PM
Post #2

RMS is my Hero

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5

QUOTE (Jeff3558 @ Feb 14 2008, 03:00 PM) *
Let me start by saying I know little to nothing about linux. However, I know exactly what I want to do and believe it is relatively simple I just have no idea where to begin the attack.
I want to add a host to a blacklist so my server will refuse a connection from them when an attempt is made to send a mail to a recipient in the FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients').
Simply using the blacklist recipients is not working reliably, I get a tremendous amount of spam to my primary address and a good bit of it is sent to a few addresses that could be blacklisted.
I think this would relieve my server of a lot of spam as well as reducing the server load created by Spam Assassin which misses a good portion of them anyway.
That should be clear bu just in case this is the flow I want to create (if an equivalent isn't already out there already).

1 -> Remote system connects to send mail.
2 -> Mail is to an address in the blacklist recipients.
3 -> Add the host to (I'm guessing here) the sendmail reject table
4 -> If at all possible drop the connection from them at that point since they obviously are not sending anything I want.
Alternatively if easier write the host to a text file and I can manually update the sendmail reject list from that.

You use the following file:
/etc/mail/access

Each time you add to the list you have to rebuild it.

I havent used sendmail in like forever, but if you google /etc/mail/access , it has lots of information, and also there are some
sites that have HUGE HUGE access lists already built and you can grab one of those.

Hope this helps.

--------------------

Chris W.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 11:45 PM