Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GRUB Problem.. one linux overwrites the other?, PCLinuxOS and Mandriva dualboot...
Max
post Jan 18 2008, 05:17 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,270

So here's my crazy setup:

First I had Vista installed on my computer, then I installed Windows XP on one partition of hard drive one (or that's what linux thinks, it's called "sda")

I had dual boot set up with something called FreeBSD as a bootloader to choose between Vista and XP

Next I installed PCLinuxOS on the same drive as Windows XP (250gig drive, so I partitioned it a lot) When I booted up this time, I went to Vista and edited FreeBSD to include the linux partition of PCLOS.

Now when I boot up I get a choice between Vista, XP, and PCLOS... when I choose PCLOS it loads the GRUB bootload thing and lets me choose what kind of PCLOS i want (normal, safe mode, and something else that I dont understand)

So between two boot load programs I was able to get to all three operating systems.

From here, I installed Mandriva on the same 250gig drive "sda" ... by this time I have sda3 sda4 sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 sda9... I'm not sure how many there are, but each linux installation takes up three partitions. When Mandriva asked me how to set up GRUB, I wanted to keep PCLOS but didn't know which "sda" it was on. I made options for sda3, sda4, sda5, sda6, sda7 (it gave me a choice from where to boot for each new option I added to grub)

As you have probably noticed, I have no idea what I'm doing =D

When I booted up after this, I first chose "PCLinuxOS" from the FreeBSD loader, then I got a menu that looked something like this:

Mandriva
Mandriva safe mode (or something)
sda3
sda4
sda5
sda6
sda7

So I figured I'd test out each 'sda' to see which one had PCLOS on it. I ran sda3 and got an error, had to turn off the computer by holding down the power button (yikes?), sda4 had the same results, but sda5 seemed to work. It loaded up fine but the mouse didnt work at all and I think there were some other things missing... had to hold down power button again...

Vista works fine (I am posting from vista!)
XP I don't really care about - I havn't tried to boot this at all today..(during all linux installing)
Mandriva works fine
PCLOS doesnt work at all...

One other thing to note: before I installed Mandriva I changed my background pictures etc in PCLOS and when I logged in (post-mandriva) when the mouse didnt work, all my settings were reset...

Can anyone help me here? I think I just need to re-code the GRUB file. I've been using the graphical GRUB interface thing and it saves the stuff to a text file. I've been able to find the file, but I cannot edit it, and even if I could, I don't think I'd be able to fix anything... (on my own)

Thanks a bunch!
-Max
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Glennzo
post Jan 19 2008, 05:47 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,222

*** Chop - DS2K3 - There is no need to quote the previous post in its entirety ***

Boot the Linux distro that works, open a terminal and log in as root and type the following commands, cat /boot/grub/menu.lst and /sbin/fdisk -l. Post the output of those commands in a reply and we can get you fixed up.

--------------------
Glennzo Powered by Fedora 8

+Quote Post
Max
post Jan 20 2008, 01:49 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,270

Ok I'll see what I can do, but I'm not sure how to log in as root... maybe that sounds crazy, but I've never used the shell terminal thingy before...

Here's what I get when I do the " cat /boot/grub/menu.lst" command:

------------------------------------------------

timeout 10
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
gfxmenu (hd0,7)/boot/gfxmenu
default 0

title linux
kernel (hd0,7)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/sda8 resume=/dev/sda6 splash=silent vga=788
initrd (hd0,7)/boot/initrd.img

title linux-nonfb
kernel (hd0,7)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb root=/dev/sda8 resume=/dev/sda6

title failsafe
kernel (hd0,7)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=/dev/sda8 failsafe

title linux-sda3
kernel (hd0,7)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-desktop586-1mdv BOOT_IMAGE=linux-sda3 root=/dev/sda3
initrd (hd0,7)/boot/initrd-desktop586.img

title linux-sda4
kernel (hd0,7)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-desktop586-1mdv BOOT_IMAGE=linux-sda4 root=/dev/sda4

title linux-sda6
kernel (hd0,7)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-desktop586-1mdv BOOT_IMAGE=linux-sda6 root=/dev/sda6

title linux-sda5
kernel (hd0,7)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-desktop586-1mdv BOOT_IMAGE=linux-sda5 root=/dev/sda5

title linux-sda7
kernel (hd0,7)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-desktop586-1mdv BOOT_IMAGE=linux-sda7 root=/dev/sda7

------------------------------------------------------

I can also access this exact same thing in the "home" file explorer thing. I'm used to Windows so file explorer is easier for me to use than the shell, but I also got into the hard drive partition from the other linux (the one that I can't access) and I can read the boot/grub/menu.lst file from that. It reads like this:

---------------------------------------------------------

timeout 10
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
gfxmenu (hd0,4)/usr/share/gfxboot/themes/pclinuxos/boot/message
default 0

title linux
kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/sda5 acpi=on resume=/dev/sda6 splash=silent vga=788
initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.img

title linux-nonfb
kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb root=/dev/sda5 acpi=on resume=/dev/sda6

title failsafe
kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=/dev/sda5 failsafe acpi=on resume=/dev/sda6

title windowsXP
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

title windowsVista
root (hd2,0)
map (0x81) (0x80)
map (0x80) (0x81)
makeactive
chainloader +1

----------------------------------------------------

I had installed PCLinuxOS first and in the installation I was able to make boot options for XP and Vista which is why those options are there. I think if I copy the first three options here into the document from Mandriva (the one that works) so that I have PCLinuxOS options and Mandriva options in the same boot file it will work... The problem is, these boot files are read only for some reason...

I hope this helps
-Max

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 03:17 AM