Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Unable to open embedded video in Firefox
nivedhitha
post Jan 8 2008, 12:01 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,230

I am running a RHEL 5 system. I am trying to open a recorded session. When I clicked on the URL, Firefox says "Could not find an appropriate hxplay or realplay in the system path to use as an embedded player"

The following are the steps I took before I got this error. Please help me in resolving this issue.

1) Downloaded and installed RealPlayer in /home/nivi/Desktop/RealPlayer

2) Downloaded and installed HelixPlayer

3) In /home/nivi/.mozilla/plugins directory, the following are there :
lrwxrwxrwx 1 nivi nivi 49 Jan 4 19:40 nphelix.so -> /home/nivi/Desktop/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 nivi nivi 50 Jan 4 19:40 nphelix.xpt -> /home/nivi/Desktop/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.xpt

4) PATH variable setting is as below:
export PATH=/home/nivi/Desktop/RealPlayer:$PATH

5) about:plugins in Firefox shows the following :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shockwave Flash

File name: libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r115

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf Yes
application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl Yes
Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible

File name: nphelix.so
Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible version 0.4.0.622 built with gcc 3.2.0 on Jul 18 2006

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin RealPlayer Plugin Metafile rpm Yes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to add that simply invoking RealPayer from /home/nivi/Desktop/RealPlayer brings up Realplayer without any issues.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bw44
post Feb 7 2008, 05:02 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,311

This is my first post to the Linuxhelp forums. I registered just to let you know you're not alone! (Haven't figured out how the Quote thing works to quote your message.)

I've been struggling with the same problem for a month trying to access the audio and video clips at the BBC news site http://news.bbc.co.uk/. When I found your post using Google I hoped there was the solution!

I'm running the latest version of Ubuntu Linux (7.10), Firefox(2.0.0.11) and RealPlayer (10.0.9.809). RealPlayer works fine for me too, except it will not appear as embedded.

If I do find an answer, I will post it here as well as to the Ubuntu forums where I usually post.

Cheers.

bw44

+Quote Post
arochester
post Feb 7 2008, 05:57 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,207

I can't easily answer the first query because I use Ubuntu, not Red Hat.

As to watching BBC - BIG NEWS- IT'S A CON!!!

I used to watch BBC using Realplayer. I found that I had to download it from the Realplayer site, rather than installing it from Ubuntu repositories.The site has instructions for installing, changing permissions etc. Most help came from a part of the BBC website - http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/audiohelp_nix.shtml. OK it's about Audio, but it's relevant to Video as well. The most important thing for me was that "The files nphelix.so and nphelix.xpt must be in the browser's plugins directory for Opera, Firefox and Mozilla" Have a look for these and where they are.

Why do I say that it's a con???

I don't have Realplayer installed at the moment. At all ... but I can still watch BBC News 24 and the various clips. I just told the site I had Windows Media Player installed. Part of the trick is to w-a-i-t for it to buffer. Xine does the job.

+Quote Post
bw44
post Feb 9 2008, 05:26 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (arochester @ Feb 7 2008, 05:57 PM) *
I can't easily answer the first query because I use Ubuntu, not Red Hat.

As to watching BBC - BIG NEWS- IT'S A CON!!!

I used to watch BBC using Realplayer. I found that I had to download it from the Realplayer site, rather than installing it from Ubuntu repositories.The site has instructions for installing, changing permissions etc. Most help came from a part of the BBC website - http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/audiohelp_nix.shtml. OK it's about Audio, but it's relevant to Video as well. The most important thing for me was that "The files nphelix.so and nphelix.xpt must be in the browser's plugins directory for Opera, Firefox and Mozilla" Have a look for these and where they are.

Why do I say that it's a con???

I don't have Realplayer installed at the moment. At all ... but I can still watch BBC News 24 and the various clips. I just told the site I had Windows Media Player installed. Part of the trick is to w-a-i-t for it to buffer. Xine does the job.

That's interesting. Are you located in the UK by any chance? I'm in Canada and I have been able to tell BBC my preference is WMP and use mplayer to view the BBC video clips, but only if I doctor the URLs to bypass their ad server. (If you live in the UK you are not directed to the ads!) Otherwise, when mplayer launches it just hangs and never completes (and believe me, it isn't just a matter of being patient -- it NEVER completes).

But you say Xine does the job. What plugin are you running with Xine, Totem?

Thanks.
bw44

+Quote Post
arochester
post Feb 10 2008, 04:36 PM
Post #5

Yes. I'm in the UK.

I don't know exactly what I have installed which enables it.

Plugins include xine-plugin.

+Quote Post
bw44
post Feb 13 2008, 02:54 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (arochester @ Feb 10 2008, 04:36 PM) *
Yes. I'm in the UK.

I don't know exactly what I have installed which enables it.

Plugins include xine-plugin.

I understand BBC's reason for making users outside the UK help pay for the cost of
providing them the service by including commercial advertising, but it has been a
real pain. They (or the people they outsource their technical support to) have not
made it work smoothly for Linux users.

As a Windows user I avoided RealPlayer; I didn't like their marketing approach and
the sly way they implemented it. But the version for Linux generally works really well
for me most of the time. I think the problem raised in this thread is an implementation
problem at BBC. (Could be wrong though!)

I had forgotten there was a xine plugin for Firefox. Glad you reminded me.

Sorry for the delayed response, but I haven't received email notification of
posts to the forum. I thought I had checked all the right boxes in My Controls, but
don't seem to be getting any messages.

+Quote Post
arochester
post Feb 13 2008, 06:17 AM
Post #7

I understand BBC's reason for making users outside the UK help pay for the cost of
providing them the service by including commercial advertising, but it has been a
real pain. They (or the people they outsource their technical support to) have not
made it work smoothly for Linux users.

So I can't watch some US shows like on ...ABC...CBS... because of copyright restrictions. I used to listen to, and quite enjoy, Pandora but that has been removed from outside US.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 01:37 PM