Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another helpless soul, Installed Fedora 6. I cant find Windows XP
nelson1150
post Dec 27 2007, 07:12 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,219

Hello,

Thank you for oppening. This is my problem and any help will be greatly appreciated.

I decided to learn Linux after using windows all my life.
I'm not a programer so I bought a book. (Linux Bible 2007)
The book came with 12 distributions in two discs to allow new users to get acquainted with the operating system and choose one.
I installed Fedora 6 (The book is already old for computer standards)
The book says that it was not an installation but only a porgram that would run from my CD drive.

After rebooting the system, and to my utmost terror, the system goes directly to fedora and I have no way to get to my windows system.
I press F2 and F12 and all the F's in my keyboard but to no avail.

The are files in the Windows section that I need to keep including priceless pictures of my family.
I tried to upgrade to the lasted Fedora (Fedora 8) with the following results.
I need to copy the downloaded files to the CD rom, but fedora 6 does not writes it because it says it is empty. I bought new DVD- R disc with capacity of 4.7 Gig and still, this version won't write it.

I downlloaded 227 packages (I don't know what packages are or how to install them)

I was wondering if some one could steer me in the right direction and tell me (in baby steps) what do I need to do now to recoup my files

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nelson
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Glennzo
post Dec 29 2007, 07:31 AM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,222

QUOTE (nelson1150 @ Dec 27 2007, 07:12 PM) *
Hello,

Thank you for oppening. This is my problem and any help will be greatly appreciated.

I decided to learn Linux after using windows all my life.
I'm not a programer so I bought a book. (Linux Bible 2007)
The book came with 12 distributions in two discs to allow new users to get acquainted with the operating system and choose one.
I installed Fedora 6 (The book is already old for computer standards)
The book says that it was not an installation but only a porgram that would run from my CD drive.

After rebooting the system, and to my utmost terror, the system goes directly to fedora and I have no way to get to my windows system.
I press F2 and F12 and all the F's in my keyboard but to no avail.

The are files in the Windows section that I need to keep including priceless pictures of my family.
I tried to upgrade to the lasted Fedora (Fedora 8) with the following results.
I need to copy the downloaded files to the CD rom, but fedora 6 does not writes it because it says it is empty. I bought new DVD- R disc with capacity of 4.7 Gig and still, this version won't write it.

I downlloaded 227 packages (I don't know what packages are or how to install them)

I was wondering if some one could steer me in the right direction and tell me (in baby steps) what do I need to do now to recoup my files

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nelson

Hi Nelson. Are you able to boot Fedora 6 or Fedora 8 now? When the system boots you can open a terminal under Applications > System Tools > Terminal and log in as root. Then type /sbin/fdisk -l and post that output in a reply here. Also, type cat /boot/grub/menu.lst and post that output here. I'll see if I can help you recover your photos or maybe boot to Windows.

--------------------
Glennzo Powered by Fedora 8
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 07:05 AM