Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Industry VS College Programming Course
docmur
post Oct 26 2007, 04:44 PM
Post #1

I Eat C Code for Breakfast

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,136

Okay so I have a prof who loves Visual Studio. Net, it's his favorite program ever, he stuck to the fact it's what the class should use for programming no matter what.
Well at home I use Linux because I prefer it over windows. So likewise I love to use GCC as my compiler of choice, I find it preforms better with almost no over head in comparison.

So This week I had to go and write my C programming Midterm using Visual Studio.Net Well I can to notice just how much that program sucks. Like not just a little, Alot. A few of my main problems.

1)Code that compiles fine on Dev and GCC will complain to no end on Visual
2)The Error codes it gives are trash, there impossible to decode ex::

LNK2005 iStudent(@@@YE32) def ;;;

3)How you have to select your project from menus after menu's.
4)The over head of running even a small program

Now to not be a total bad sport it has one thing going for it

1)Indents code all nice

but thats it.

So I ended up wasting I'm going to say about 1/2 hour to 45 min tracking errors and correcting code that would work fine on GCC and Dev all so Visual Wouldn't complain at me. Over all I really dislike it.

When I told my prof what I thought he was like "if visual complains then it's wrong" Well my question which I didn't ask back was, If GCC and Dev don't complain and my programs work then what truly is the problem, The Code of The Compiler.

So Now I'm stuck, I'm forced to use Visual for Midterms which of course I will no problem because I don't want to fail but at the same time I have no clue as to why any right minded company would buy that bloated piece of crap for C programming. I'm only talking about C here just to be clear, I'm sure in other aspects it's good but not C.

Would industry not opt for the free road, Linux with GCC or do company's really bend them self's over the mail box and take it from Microsoft. GCC does a great job with C, anything you could want to do you can no problems, the error are nice, the warnings even better the over head is good and the ease of use to great. So next time my prof gets in a pissing match about GCC what can I tell him, does industry use it, is it a standard for programming. Or should I shut up sit back and let him bend over to crap that is Windows and Visual

Thanks

DOCMUR

--------------------
Gentoo ROCKS!!!!! Go and emerge the world
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- docmur   Industry VS College Programming Course   Oct 26 2007, 04:44 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 09:58 AM