Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Mandriva 9.2 cannot write to XP shares, Cannot write access XP shares from Mandriva 9.2
robjacox
post Oct 21 2007, 08:35 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,580

I am having a heck of a time setting up a home network with Mandrake 9.2. I cannot get write access to my XP shares from Mandrake. I can write to them from other XP boxes, and if a boot other distros of Linux off "live" CD-ROMs it all works OK. Ironically, I easily got full access to the home directories on my Linux box, which in the past is where I had difficulty.

When I mount the XP share (using LinNeighborhood) using the same username/password as my XP box, with file/dir persmissions set all the way up to 777, it creates the folders, and I can see and access the folders and files, but cannot write to them. When I check the permissions of the folders, the folder .../LAPTOP (the name of my laptop I am trying to access) is 755, with "me" as the owner. I can even WRITE to it (which is on my Linux desktop I am working from), but the "MYDOCUMENTS" folder, which is the shared folder from //LAPTOP, comes up as "555" with "me" as the owner.

All the files in the folder have permissions set to "755", but I cannot write to the folder due to the restricted permission of the parent folder.

I have booted up different LIVE distros of Linux, and have mounted the shares the same way as far as I can tell. and all works fine.

I am using a old Pentium III computer as a print and file server, and would prefer using one of "TINY" linux distros, but can't get my Brother all-in-one to work on those versions due to lack of RPM capabilty.

Ready to add any additional details to those that may be willing to help!

Rob Jacox
Sisters, OR
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
robjacox
post Oct 21 2007, 10:46 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,580

I didn't realize how old a version of Mandrake I was using, I am presently downloading a newer version (10.2) and will see how it works...

Rob
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2017 - 06:09 PM