Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Distortion/Static Sound Card
zatharis
post Nov 6 2006, 08:39 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,677

Update, after several reloads and kernel builds it has been determined there is a defect in the motherboard that neither linux nor M$ can detect.
Slack 11
Kernel 2.6.18.2
Pinnacle 110i saa7133
Yamaha 724
ATI Rage
3com 900
DVD
HP Burner
TVTIME
Xine
all running great and happy on a Dell 333 celeron 640Mb ram 40Gb wd

For those of you scratching your head trying to think of a solution, thanks

Hello

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and maybe a solution.

I get a slight scratch/static noise on menu access, program start-up and DVD play. On DVD play, the static/distortion manifests upon hard drive access and DVD access, IE: the light blinking.

Slackware 11
KDE
Recompiled Kernel: 2.6.18.2
Alsa, w/ OSS emulation
Pentium III Intel 440bx gateway
640 Mb ram
WD 40Gb drive
3com 900 nic
Ensonique 1370
3dfx/Creative Banshee 16mb
Pinnacle PCTV 110i saa7133
2 different DVDs tested both same result, Acer DVD, Lite-on cd-burner/DVD combo

The TV audio is always fine, except for TVTime having a window issue I am not concerned about, however, the static on DVD playback is annoying to say the least. It seems to be confined to PCM 1, the sound playing when static is not present is terrific and seems normal. IRQs do not appear to have any obvious conflicts. Nor are there anyone apparent memory address issues

I have googled for similar problems and most report IRQ issues and the need to relocate the card. Again the static is minimal, just a slight scratch noise when clicking the KDE start menu, a slight scratch when activating a program, and when playing a DVD movie a scratch each time the light blinks indicating drive access.

I dont know, am baffled at the moment. I have recompiled the kernel numerous times with differing results. As we say my kernel is lean and mean. The one other thing I noticed is people recommending not to enable all the sound stuff directly in the kernel config and make many of them modules, well I ended up having no choice but to enable all of them on boot, not as modules, it was the only way sound would work at all.

Any help is appreciated, thank you

Ken
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 09:58 AM