Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> gawk help
mkingiii
post Oct 24 2006, 04:20 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,558

I am sure this is a relatively simple problem, but I am a novice at linux and need the answer quickly as it is critical to other work. I need to find and replace the same text in multiple files. After a quick search of linux commands, I found a sight that attributed the command gawk with the ability to find and replace text. However, the sight does not give an example of the full sequence of commands to use gawk to find and replace text, only that it can be used to do it. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could provide me with an example of the full command sequence to find and replace text. Thank you for helping.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
mkingiii
post Oct 24 2006, 04:22 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,558

Thanks that helped alot. However, I now have a follow up question. I am able to run the replace command, but I am unable to keep the initial file name. I would like to be able to find and repalce the text in the original file, as the file name is important because I call on it in later programs(programs I cant modify). When I try this it keeps the orginal text and put the modified text below it. Is there some way to perform the find and replace in the orginal file.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 04:44 PM