Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> SATA Controller Card on PowerPC (PPC) Linux, Using a SATA controller/RAID PCI controller card on PowerPC Linux
kaireapr
post Sep 21 2006, 12:35 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,277

I recently purcahsed an old Dual 450 MHz CPU Mac G4 tower off of eBay to be my dorm room server (web/ftp/samba/mail/etc.) and have a few SATA drives that I'd like to install in it. The problem with this notion is that there is no SATA controller built-in (on the motherboard) and there is no SATA controller card in the G4.

I did a bit of Google searching for SATA RAID and controller PCI cards and found quite a good number that are compatible with Linux. It is not specified whether they are compatible with x86 Linux or PPC Linux, though!

The card I'm eyeballin' is this:
http://www.gogocost.com/xcart/product.php?productid=293

My question is this: Will any PCI card that is compatible with Linux be compatible with Linux for both PPC and x86 architecture, or do the x86 and PPC platforms require different hardware?

Specifically: Is the card that I provded a link to [above] compatible with PPC Linux?

Any help will be appreciated. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 02:44 AM