Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mapped Drives, Permissions for Mapped Drives from Windows
leeish
post Sep 11 2006, 06:44 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,200

I have looked around the HOWTO'S and some of the GUIDES and I don't see a specific answer to my question, I am thinking because I don't know exactly what it is.

Here at our office we have 2 linux boxes. One is currently brodacasting our webpage and I have the drived mapped to where the php files are and I can edit them freely, copy, delete, etc.

We are in the process of setting up a new server with a bigger hd, faster, etc. It is currently set up on our network and I have it mapped as well. I am not sure exaclty how it is set up, but for example when I go to network places, I see the machine and when I open it four folders are up to be shared. I have one of them mapped and I can edit the info freely just like on the first machine. The folder where all the php files are located however I can not do anything. I get an access denied error. I have checked permissions etc, and I think everything is ok. Obviously it can't be something such as I am not a user or something, because I can access other files.

I have tried to go into the options of the mapped drive and edit if I am root or the "This applies to all subfolder" option but it won't let me change anything. I guess my question is where exacly is the problem. I am assuming that maybe somewhere else I need to specify which user I am. I tried mapping the drive and using other user name and logging in as root. Did not work. I feel it has to be folder permissions because when I mapped the one folder that works I didn't have to do anything special. But mapping the one where the website is located I get access denied. It seems the problem must be simple, but I just can't lay my finger on it.

I am looking for suggesstions on where I might need to look for where my permissions or wrong, or if there is something other than file and folder permissions that might be wrong.

Any help would be very much appericated.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
leeish
post Sep 11 2006, 07:02 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,200

QUOTE (leeish @ Sep 11 2006, 07:44 PM) *
I am looking for suggesstions on where I might need to look for where my permissions or wrong, or if there is something other than file and folder permissions that might be wrong.

Any help would be very much appericated.

I have currently set the permissions of the folders to 777 and it fixed the problem, but I don't understand why on the other folders are not set that way and it works. To me it seems some how when I access one of the shared folders windows is logging in as root, and when I access the current one with the problem it accesses it as other user or something. I don't understand. Is this something that has to be set up when creating the folder to be shared from Linux or something that has to be fixed on Windows side. Obviously it is a security risk right now, but as I am only getting the website up to date it doesn't worry, me but I would like to solve the problem and keep my files set as 755 as they were before.

Again, any help would be much appericated
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 07:44 AM