Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> how to connect to internet with HSP56MR Modem, HSP56MR modem from PCtel
jugem
post Aug 7 2006, 03:44 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,914

I have HSP56MR modem made by Pctel. My HDD has crashed 2 weeks ago, and I am trying to move to Linux environment with my new 160 GB, HDD drive. I have Red Hot 7.3 and Suse 9.0. I tried both Linux but failed to connect to Internet.

Right now Red Hot linux 7.3 is installed on my machine. I am wondering anybody out there use same modem and successful connected to Internet? If so I would like to know how you managed to configure the HSP56MR modem. Is there a Linux driver for this modem?

I also have Linksys Wireless-B USB network adapter from Cisco Systems, but Linux does not recognize this device too. It appears that USB is not recognized by Linux at all because I have Iomega external HDD which is also a USB device, and Linux does not recognize this external hard drive too.

How you guys made a transition form Windows to Linux? Or DOS to Linux? ohmy.gif I never thought Linux is this much complicated. blink.gif Will someone please give me a helping hand?

--
Jugem
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dishawjp
post Aug 7 2006, 08:59 AM
Post #2

./configure

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,734

Jugem,

I have HSP56MR modem made by Pctel.

Your modem is most likely a Winmodem, meaning it is designed to use MWindows software to run it. Check out this thread for more information on installing it on SUSE Linux:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/suse-linu...net-issues.html

But the best solution would be to purchase an external serial modem which does not rely on Windows drivers to operate. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but for a user who is new to Linux, this would be a lot easier and more practical.

I have Red Hot 7.3 and Suse 9.0

Both of these Linux versions are quite old and cannot be expected to support wireless. Wireless has only been popular for the last few years. I would strongly suggest obtaining much more up to date versions of Linux.
If you like the RedHat, get Fedora Core 5 or if you prefer SUSE, get OpenSUSE 10.1, both of which are current, free versions.

HTH,

Jim

--------------------
Registered Linux User 294493
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 11:48 PM