Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> vnc x
prongs
post Jul 26 2006, 04:39 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,837

Hi
I am running fedora core 4 and I'm trying to setup vnc.
I have it setup so i can access it via my windows machine and it connects perfectly fine.
The issue is that the screen i see is a blank grey screen with a console. I want it to appear with the kde desktop or similar, how can i do this?
in its current state it is useless as i can achieve the same with a ssh connection.
Thanks for any help
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
as2100
post Jul 30 2006, 04:44 PM
Post #2

Grub-er

Member No.: 4,595

The environment you are looking at is just a very basic window manager and a basic terminal application.

Both of these programs (the window manager & the terminal) are executed by a script located in '$home/.vnc/xstartup'. If you open that up, you will see something a little bit like:

CODE
#!/bin/sh
twm &
xterm &

There will probably be a couple more lines and/or options located in that xstartup file, but if you are just wanting VNC to use a login like would be executed upon local logins (and this is distro specific), just replace xstartup with something like:

CODE
#!/bin/sh
unset SESSION_MANAGER
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

That little snippet is likely to work for most systems and do what you're wanting...

+Quote Post
isuck@linux
post Aug 1 2006, 05:06 PM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Member No.: 6,883

I haven't used vnc at all with linux, but I installed the free cygwin (x engine) and it runs great over ssh. You could try to do that.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 03:31 AM