Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking for a version of linux that works with my computer HELP, Linux for new computer
chaos wraith
post Jul 13 2006, 11:57 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,759

I am a newbie in Linux and i also just bought a new computer. I am having trouble, first looking for whats best for me, I guess it varies from person to person. Anyway, I'am a ingeeniring student in college so i dont need too much, maybe later when i get too more advanced clases. I also dont have much money i use all i have in my school.

I have a HP Media center PC m7167c.
Intel Pentium D Processor 820 featuring two processing cores.
1.0GB 720 RPM Serial ATA Hard drive.
Lightscribe Double Layer 16x DVD+- R/RW drive with CD writer capabilities
DVD ROM drive 16x max speed.
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with up to 224MB shared video memory.
Integrated 1/100Base-T network interface
56K Modem
USB 2,0 and Fire Wire (IEEE 1394) ports
Front 9 in 1 memory card reader
Personal video recorder (PVR) with high performance hardware encoder featuring instant replay
Compatible with cable, digital cable, satellite and antenna.
FM tunner.
HP Media center remote control with infrared reciever
HP wireless keyboard and optical mouse

I started using a debian a friend gave me but was unable to recognize the harddrive, i ignore what version it was. So then I tried a Mandriva 2006 x86-64 which works ok, mandriva was able to recognize everything, but it freezes very often, especially when i open a program Amarok. I got very interested about Xandros 4.0 since its a new version and maybe it will have fewer problems, i also read somwhere that can modify NTFS partitions.
I am open to any suggestions, please help.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
studmuffin007
post Jul 22 2006, 03:23 PM
Post #2

Grub-er

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,385

Good on you chaos wraith i was once like you a few months ago "what version is best for me and my PC" i to tried lots of versions like Mandriva Suse Red Hat Ubuntu PC linux ECT and i would advise you go with one that you can easly configure for the pc. I found that Mandriva was the better option for my tower and Suse was the better option for my laptop those were the only ones i could get to work and configure easly on my comps trust me i spent a lot of time trawling through forums for answers and help and now i have finnaly reached my gaol. All i can say is its up to you to find whats best for you and your comp keep in there and dont be put off by those "simple" little probs like a distro not recognising something you will get there just keep trying
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 06:21 AM