Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sending/receiving Email
lionhead
post Apr 18 2003, 09:14 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 694

I don't know why I can't find documentation on such a seemingly SIMPLE TASK, so I'm asking here. I'm trying to configure my linux box to send and receive mail using an SMTP server that is not the local box itself.

I got fetchmail to retrieve my mail for me. My email client is Pine, and I told pine my smtp server was "something.foo.com" (not the real server address), and it !@#$ that it couldn't send it because, in its own words: "self signed certificate." Wwhatever the !@#$ that means, and like most things in linux, it doesn't care to explain it, though it did tell me how to "fix" it. It said to append the "something.foo.com" smtp server entry with "/novalidate-cert", which I gleefully did. But, like most things with linux, it won't be happy until I slam my head into the wall or im on the brink of putting a gun to my head. After I appended the smtp server's name with that line it gave me and then I attempted to send an email, it !@#$ the following: "Mail not sent: cannot route to sender <moth@anti.nourlink.com>," where moth@anti.nourlink.com is the local username at the local machine.

So, if anybody can tell me, where do I go from here? Or if you don't know Pine specifically, can anyone atleast tell me where I can find out how to do this SIMPLE COMMON TASK?

p.s., my box is on a DHCP network, which is why I (think I) need to send and receive my mail via a remote smtp server.

This post has been edited by tourettes: Apr 20 2003, 01:23 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jetblackz
post Apr 20 2003, 12:35 AM
Post #2

./configure

Group: Members
Member No.: 613

Never used pine for email, but never failed to use any GUI e-mail clients to send/receive emails. If it's an old box, try fluxbox. It should load.

or look for pine info at

www.tldp.org

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 06:55 PM