Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Aid Request, Basics...
NickD121
post Apr 15 2003, 06:47 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 677

Okay, I just installed Mandrake Linux 9.1 a few days ago. I like it, but I miss some features of my XP. Now I searched for a Windows Emulator and found a program called Willows but I don't know if this will do what I want. I'm looking for a program that will allow me to run programs like AIM (as opposed to GAIM) and WinAmp (or find an mp3 player for linux). Even if there are solutions to this I'd still like to have a functional Windows emulator. If anybody knows of one better than Willows I'd appreciate it...

However, my biggest problem is: I have no clue how to install anything. I tried installing Willows, but I had no clue how. The help files were pretty much useless for me. At some point it said "compile" and I gave up because I have no idea how to compile or what with. If anyone helping me would like to know specifically my problems I'll tell you, but if anybody can explain to me the basics of installing a program (and running it) on Linux I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

~ Nick
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Apr 16 2003, 08:08 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Looks like I will have to write a guide soon on how to compile programs, but for now, I'll answer your questions.

The most famous windows emulator out there right now is the WINE Project (Wine Is Not an Emulator). As with any program attempting to emulate the Windows API, it is still alpha software which means that it may not work as expected. Most times it will work for simple programs like AIM.

For a replacement for Winamp, you can download and install XMMS. It looks a lot like Winamp and fuctions very similarly.

XMMS as well as Wine should be available to you already through your Mandrake Linux 9.1 cd's. On your menu at the bottom of the screen you should find an icon for Drakeconf. Run that program and go to the software management section and go to install software. In the search box at the top, enter xmms and search for it. Do the same for Wine as well, it should all be available in there.

Compiling software involves downloading the sourcecode, configuring it, ensuring you have the correct libraries and development files available, compiling and installing. For now, you should stick to the method I described above for Mandrake, and I will attempt to make a guide for software installation under different distributions.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 07:08 AM