Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just A Small Partitioning Question For Mandrake 9
post Apr 13 2003, 01:17 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 668

Hi everyone! I have just recently have gotten Mandrake 9.1 and I just wanted to know if it was possible to have this: I have a regular 18 gb hard drive on fat32 and right now I have 8.5 gb free. Is it possible to leave about half of that space to windows, and the other half to mandrake? I couldn't make a partition that was that small in size. Perhaps I missed something?

Thanks a bunch!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Apr 14 2003, 11:33 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

You can certainly re-size the partition to whatever you like. Inside Windows you can use Partition magic which works quite nicely in resizing a currently in use partition to whatever you like while still keeping your current data intact. Linux also has programs for this as well, the one I have heard the most on is FIPS, though I have never actually used the program myself.

After resizing the partition, one should remain as your first partition with your windows installation on it as /dev/hda1 (meaning the first partition on your first drive) and the partition /dev/hda2 will be your freespace left over from the resize in which you can install Mandrake on.

Corey Quilliam
(former) Administrator

Want to help out Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)
+Quote Post
post Apr 16 2003, 03:14 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 613

MDK 9.1 has the most robost paritioning tool ever included in a Linux distro. It resizes NTFS safely. But I would still back up my files though.

Just boot the CD and go to custom paritioning.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd March 2018 - 03:07 AM