Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Not quite linux from scratch, Looking for a pretty bare distro
ender81x
post Feb 27 2006, 07:35 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,106

Hello all... I am somewhat competent in linux. I used to use Slackware years ago, and I have run Fedora, Mandrake/Mandriva, Kubuntu, and a few others... I am not quite at the point where I want to build a linux from scratch system (although I did check out linuxfromscratch.org and it would be a fun project)... I just don't think I'm ready to compile everything from the ground up quite yet...
What I am looking for is a distro that isn't so tied into a graphical desktop. I would like to have a good starting point (some or most hardware working after install, and all the tools to build software). And from there, I am looking to compile my own X, KDE, and all the other applications I'll want. The problem I have is that most distros have a desktop by default and just choosing not to install it doesn't seem to remove it altogether so it has been hard for me to get a clean starting point. Any recommendations?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
as2100
post Feb 27 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #2

Grub-er

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,595

It honestly sounds like Debian or Gentoo is what you would be interested in.

Those both have extremely barebone installs, and easy access to all the build tools you could want.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2017 - 06:07 AM