Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Not quite linux from scratch, Looking for a pretty bare distro
ender81x
post Feb 27 2006, 07:35 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,106

Hello all... I am somewhat competent in linux. I used to use Slackware years ago, and I have run Fedora, Mandrake/Mandriva, Kubuntu, and a few others... I am not quite at the point where I want to build a linux from scratch system (although I did check out linuxfromscratch.org and it would be a fun project)... I just don't think I'm ready to compile everything from the ground up quite yet...
What I am looking for is a distro that isn't so tied into a graphical desktop. I would like to have a good starting point (some or most hardware working after install, and all the tools to build software). And from there, I am looking to compile my own X, KDE, and all the other applications I'll want. The problem I have is that most distros have a desktop by default and just choosing not to install it doesn't seem to remove it altogether so it has been hard for me to get a clean starting point. Any recommendations?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th December 2017 - 09:17 PM