Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question about upgrading w98 w/ dual boot, Will upgrading win98 mess with the MBR?
felix
post Apr 6 2003, 01:47 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 639

Hi, wonder if anyone can advise me, I have a newer machine here with win98 on 1st HD, SuSE on 2nd HD. I'd like to upgrade from win98 to winXP, but I'm not sure if doing so will muck with the MBR? I don't want to interfere with access to the machine's only real OS wink.gif

I'm not sure if I can re-install GRUB after doing the windows UG, assuming things get messed up?

A second alternative that would suit me just fine would be pulling the C drive from the system altogether, leaving only Linux behind. But...again, I'm too much of a newbie to know how to make that drive bootable while retaining all my existing software etc. It's probably not partitioned properly for this approach to work?

Thanks for any advise...

Felix
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Apr 7 2003, 07:55 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I'm not 100% sure, but, if you are going to upgrade Windows98 to say Windows 2000 or XP, you should make the assumption that it will mess with your MBR. To prepare for this, you should create a bootdisk so you are able to boot into your system after you upgrade windows 98, and re-initialize SuSE. There are several ways to do this, one being issuing the command "mkbootdisk", and it should work. As for re-initializing grub after the install, you will have to read the documentation because I am only familier with LILO.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 05:57 PM