Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Download and Install Programs, How is it done??
gtoman
post Jan 17 2006, 04:45 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,565

I just installed SuSE 9.3 so I'm new to it. I need to know how to download files from websites either to burn them onto CD's and then install them on the hard drive or install directly onto the hard drive after downloads. Every website I've been to has folders with their names and the creation date. How do you download and install these programs? What are ISO and RPM type files? Do you have to know Linux commands to install them or do they install by themselves?
Thanks,Jim
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
jovis
post Feb 18 2006, 03:54 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,077

I am new to Linux also. I have installed Fedora Core 4 on my desktop and am trying to get the system working to do some things I am used to doing with windows xp. My immediate problem is downloading and installing rpm files. I have downloaded Perl sdl, but find there are six dependencies when I try to install it. I went back to freshrpms, but didn't find any of the dependencies listed for download. All the files are lib sdl_gfx.so.13 (for example) is one of them. all the rest start out lib sdl_ and them other stuff follows. the only one that isn't that type is libsmpeg-0.4.so.0

where can I find those files? I was following instructions in the book Linux For Non Geeks, but the distro that comes with the book is Fedora Core 1.0, and I am trying to use FC4.0

Thanks for any help anyone can offer

jovis
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 04:05 PM