Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recommended wireless USB LAN adapter?
fredriley
post Jan 16 2006, 12:59 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,970

Hi

I recently bought a wireless USB LAN adapter to work with my wireless ADSL router at home. Of course it works fine in Windoze on account of all the drivers being on the CD with a cosy installation wizard, but the Linux drivers are supplied only as C source code with a readme in broken English giving detailed instructions on editing the makefile according to the kernel version, running make, running iwconfig, and more, and I've neither the patience nor the expertise to do this, despite having administered some Linux boxes in my time - I'm of the RPM generation ;-)

So, can anyone recommend any products in this category which will definitely work with Linux, and which I can install in the Gnome Control Centre without messing around with editing makefiles and the rest of it?

As a supplementary question, how do you find the kernel version? I've looked in my Unix and Linux books and can't see any obvious command to show the version. TIA.

Cheers

Fred
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
george43
post Jan 30 2006, 04:07 AM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,016

uname -r

will give you the current version, I believe
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 06:32 AM