Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FreeBSD and Linux, What are the major differences?
Erik_the_Red
post Apr 5 2003, 03:42 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 611

What are the major differences between FreeBSD and Linux? Also, is FreeBSD significantly more complicated than Linux?

Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
digitalturbulenc...
post Apr 5 2003, 07:26 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 633

FreeBSD has another kernel than Linux, very difficult to say which kernel are better. I think Linux is currently better in performance than FreeBSD, but it's possible that FreeBSD is more secure. I'm not very sure in what I'm saying (it could finished as big troll).

FreeBSD use another license, the base programs are not GNU, but you can install the GNU fileutils etc.

--------------------
Free disposable email addresses to
stop spam mails!
Try it: TrashMail.net

+Quote Post
Corey
post Apr 7 2003, 08:02 AM
Post #3

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I have only seen on the surface, small differences between FreeBSD and Linux. Besides the licenseing, it seems that FreeBSD is more geared towards server platforms. It's not really meant for a desktop computer. While Linux is an excellent server operating system, it is better for the desktop, and it seems to be more widely supported.

Some would argue that the BSD kernel is more stable and mature then the Linux kernel. I have no idea, so I won't comment on it. The best thing, is for you to try it for yourself. All the BSD crowd seem to rave about this "Ports" system that FreeBSD has, but I honestly don't see how it beats APT for Debian.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 03:52 PM