Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can't make dir., Plzz help
MoC
post Apr 4 2003, 05:43 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 626

I need help, im new in linux, i have redhat 8. The problem is i can't run the command "#make installbin" the problem is that i have no promition to make a dir. in ush/shere. or something like that, i can't move files to root dir. ether, i can only put it in my home dir.
I am the only user on the pc, and i have installed all the packs. plzz help sad.gif

--------------------
Redhat 8. using KDE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Apr 4 2003, 10:27 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Security is a big issue in Linux. It is meant as a multi-user environment, meaning that several people could use the same system without compromising system security. Every person who uses your system, should have their own login name and password, which creates them their home directory (most likely in /home). A regular user can only write in their home directory and in the /tmp directory. In order to write anywhere else on the system (such as /root , /usr, /etc), you must be logged in as "root" which is the super user (or administrator if you will).

So, if you are in the console (or xterm), and you want to move something to the root directory or the /usr directory, or as you are doing above, a make install, you need to "su" as root. From the commandline, issue the command "su" which will then ask you for a password, enter in your "root" password that you setup on install. You will then be logged in as root, and be able to install anywhere on the system. You should never user root for a long period of time, because one slip-up, and you could delete something you didn't want to delete. Only use root for short periods of time. When i'm compiling a program, i usually download the tarball, extract it, run "configure" and "make" as regular user, and then su root to "make install", then i get right out of root and back to regular user again.

I hope this explains it better for you smile.gif

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post
MoC
post Apr 6 2003, 11:17 AM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 626

I have tryed the root login, im new so, but i workes. thx biggrin.gif

--------------------
Redhat 8. using KDE

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 06:01 AM