Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> what do i do after downloading and installing an r
beltranix
post Dec 11 2005, 06:37 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,844

Hello, I am very new to linux, I checked out some rpm's downloaded them (mostly games) installed them with the package manger, I am using mandriva 2006 free edition that came out of linux user pro, well any how, where did they go? I did a command line "rpm -qa" and sure enough it is there, and if I try and reinstall it I am told by a little pop up window that it has already been installed, how do i fire it up? and I was not given a choice of where to put it, but it is not in my menu, I am using kde, thank you, and any advice on how to use tar balls, .gz or .bz2 would also be greatly apreciated (kinderarten level would be most apreciated) i have about 300 bucks worth of books and not one of them gives it to me in a format i can realy understand, from making a new directory to finding what directory the tar is in to extracting to compiling, if any gurus live in sioux falls, sd or within 100 or so miles i would be willing to travel a bit, i am very fascinted with linux and i hear all the great and free things, i am just getting plumb flustered, i even checked out the newbie guide from here and had the shell open while i read it, still nothing, i see there, when i run that rm command, i am jst not sure what to do next except maybe give up, i really dont think i am realy that stupid, i must be, sorry for waisting your peoples time

thank you in advance

I am not unwilling to help myself, if someone could give a url or something, I have yet to contact the local colleges to see if they offer a linux tutorial course but i figured id try here, i am running it on a laptop, very well so far

sorry if i get wordy, but, if this is inapropriate or not the place for this, my apologies, i have tried the chat rooms in yahoo but it didnt go well
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 07:22 PM