Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cable Internet Question, Modem seems to "lock up"
etshooter
post Apr 1 2003, 10:29 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 498

I have ATTBI as my isp. Usually late weekend nights, my modem seems to stop responding and i unplug it for a few seconds then it will work again for awhile. I have done a search from their help pages, but all they say for linux is that certain distros may have default setting of 16 "hops" to the DHCP server, and it may needs to be set to higher than 20 "hops". First, what are they talking about? Second, how do I change this setting in Mandrake 9.1?

--------------------
Mandrake Linux 9.1
1.33Ghz Athlon T-bird
64MB ATI Radeon7000
256MB PC133
30 GB WesternDigital HD
1 Clueless dork on the keyboard
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Apr 2 2003, 09:10 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Holy shit, that's nuts. I'm not completly sure, but I think "hops" is the amount of other computers (read: routers) that your informatino passes through before it hits a target. You can find the hops from your machine to any other on the internet by using the utility "traceroute".

I have searched everywhere, including checking my own dhcp configuration files, and I can't find anywhere where you can change the default number of hops to dhcp server. Maybe you can call AT&T tech support and ask them.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 04:12 PM