Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Triple Boot Nightmare... V.2.0, Still not working...
frodo44
post Apr 1 2003, 07:28 PM
Post #1

./configure

Group: Members
Member No.: 213

OK, don't know how many of you saw my post on Sunday (i think), but I've been trying to set up a triple boot with win98/2000 and RH8.0. By problem is that windows 98 is an old myopic piece of software from the 1980's and doesn't begin to imagine that someone would want to install another OS on the same computer, so it automatically rewrites the MBR to only boot up for 98. So I tried bypassing that problem by installing linux last, setting up GRUB as my boot loader. This doesn't seem to work, though, because when i try to boot into either windows os it freaks out on me and won't boot up. Oh, by the way, the last time I reinstalled all three OSes I went in this order: Win2000, 98, RH8.0. The only thing I can think of is to maybe install 98 first, then 2000, so that a somewhat modern OS will take over the MBR (So, just to clarify, the order would be 98, 2000, then linux). If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate them because I'm just about to suffer from a nervous breakdown from installing windows too many times (linux install is actually calming... who'd have thought?). By the way, my computer is completely incapacitated at the moment, so if any ideas require wiping the hd that's ok. Thanks... hope I haven't rambled too much.

Eric

PS: I don't know why I'm doing this now... I'm going to be installing RH9 in just a week or two anyway smile.gif .

--------------------
Windows XP; Debian 3.0r2 (Woody)
---
Shuttle AK32 Mobo w/ Athlon XP 1700+ @ 266 FSB
GeForce 4 mx440 64mb
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz 5.1 Surround Sound
256 MB DDRAM
Seagate 80gb, Western Digital 40gb
---
weezle@charter.net
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chocolate lust b...
post Apr 2 2003, 05:31 AM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Member No.: 617

gidday Eric,

I've had similar problems but have found that bootpart works well (www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm). Ideally you should install W2K after Win98. Assuming that you can boot into W2K then just run bootpart.exe from the command line (best to have bootpart.exe in the root of c:). I'm not 100% sure but you probably need to be logged in with local machine admin rights.

hope this helps.

+Quote Post
frodo44
post Apr 3 2003, 09:50 PM
Post #3

./configure

Member No.: 213

Okay, I'll try to remember that. I'm actually not going to be able to do it for another week or so. I'm glad to see that you agree that win 98 should be installed first. It's funny... the only reason I'm going to all this trouble is so that I can play the original Myst game...

Eric

--------------------
Windows XP; Debian 3.0r2 (Woody)
---
Shuttle AK32 Mobo w/ Athlon XP 1700+ @ 266 FSB
GeForce 4 mx440 64mb
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz 5.1 Surround Sound
256 MB DDRAM
Seagate 80gb, Western Digital 40gb
---
weezle@charter.net

+Quote Post
chocolate lust b...
post Apr 5 2003, 07:15 AM
Post #4

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Member No.: 617

Surely you must have a stronger case for bothering with Win98 than Myst? ah well, we all have strange and unique needs! For example I keep telling my girlfriend that the real reason we need fridges are for beer and chocolate - nothing to do with keeping milk and yoghurt fresh...

good luck.

David.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 09:03 AM