Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ftp Login From Xp Into My Linux Home Folder, An FTP login from windows into Linux
Dunhill
post Nov 3 2005, 10:57 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,230

Hi Guys,

I used to paste an thread about FTP login from XP "Network places" into my Linux Home folder /home/david of a Linux Enterprise Workstation 4 machine (RH EW4). The old article is "http://www.linuxhelp.ca/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=6448", that issue now has been fixed, thanks to Termina and all guys helped me before.

That problem can be elimated by removing -a option in file "/etc/xinetd.d/gssftp", in the line "server_args".

Now the new problem is like this
********************************************************************************
An error occurred opening the folder in the FTP server, Make sure you have permission to access that folder,
Details:
The server name or address could not be resolved
********************************************************************************

The entry I made in XP Network places is "ftp://david:mypassword@12.34.567.89" 123456789 is ip address. I did similar things to Red hat 9, solaris all no problem.

I made another try by go to XP>IE>Options>advanced>browsing>and Unchecked " Enable folder view for FTP sites", now I will have two possibilities, sometimes A sometimes B.

A: success, can view folder / file by text. But can not save folder.
B: Warning message like this:
FTP replies error
InterScan HTTP Version 3.8-Build_3013 $Date: 01/20/2004 13:22:0038$
ftp server replies:
500 'RETR ': command not understood.
home/david/: no such file or directory

Please advise! I am so keen to solve it. I am not an system engineer but solving Linux issue is just so fun and remaining problem is so frustrating....

Yours truly,
Dunhill
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
as2100
post Nov 3 2005, 11:51 PM
Post #2

Grub-er

Member No.: 4,595

As simple as this sounds, one problem that might be causing the issue is your home path:
CODE

The preceding '/' is necessary. You will want '/home/david'.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by:
A: success, can view folder / file by text. But can not save folder.

Do you mean that you can successfully log into your home directory but unable to transfer file from the RH server to your workstation? If so- what error message do you get? And who is giving you the error: the FTP server or Windows?

+Quote Post
Dunhill
post Nov 4 2005, 12:14 AM
Post #3

for "home/david/: no such file or directory" message, seems it is given by the FTP server:
FTP replies error
InterScan HTTP Version 3.8-Build_3013 $Date: 01/20/2004 13:22:0038$

ftp server replies:

500 'RETR ': command not understood.

home/david/: no such file or directory.
I never made any change for the RH EW4, and dunno why /home/david now is home/david.

For "A: success, can view folder / file by text. But can not save folder. "
Yeah, I can see a list of directories and files, but i can only save as target files, not for directory, becase that window is a webpage in a browser, there is no folder view.

+Quote Post
Dunhill
post Dec 23 2005, 04:16 AM
Post #4

Please anybody help me on this?

+Quote Post
cagey cretin
post Dec 23 2005, 11:22 AM
Post #5

./configure

Member No.: 1,413

QUOTE (as2100 @ Nov 3 2005, 11:51 PM)
As simple as this sounds, one problem that might be causing the issue is your home path:
CODE

The preceding '/' is necessary. You will want '/home/david'.

Did you try this?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 08:15 AM