Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Conexant Pci Modem - Redhat 8.0 Won't Recognize
patslap
post Mar 27 2003, 03:42 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 595

Hi all

Just installed Redhat 8.0 today. All went well until tried to set up dial-up network. My modem is a Conexant RH56D/SP-PCI modem (R6795-11). Redhat won't recognize it.

I've tried echo "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" > /dev/ttyS1 (modem is in COM2 - but I've tried other ttys0, ttyS2 etc also)

I've d/l'd a driver from Linux Drivers for Conexant Chips website and tried to RPM that. All that happened was that the package installed, but I couldn't work out what to do next other than try and reconfigure network settings again.

Help - I really want to ditch Windoze, but can't until I've got web access thru Linux.

patslap
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zaphrod
post Apr 2 2003, 07:37 AM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 619

QUOTE (patslap @ Mar 27 2003, 08:42 PM)
Hi all

Just installed Redhat 8.0 today. All went well until tried to set up dial-up network. My modem is a Conexant RH56D/SP-PCI modem (R6795-11). Redhat won't recognize it.

I've tried echo "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" > /dev/ttyS1 (modem is in COM2 - but I've tried other ttys0, ttyS2 etc also)

I've d/l'd a driver from Linux Drivers for Conexant Chips website and tried to RPM that. All that happened was that the package installed, but I couldn't work out what to do next other than try and reconfigure network settings again.

Help - I really want to ditch Windoze, but can't until I've got web access thru Linux.

patslap

Linux Drivers for controllerless "WIN" modems are hard to find, there are apparently some out there but these modems in general were designed for windows and only when some Linux guru decides to tackle creating a driver for these Modems can you get them to work. I would not consider this a Fault with linux or a reason not to use it. In general these winmodems are about the poorest performer you can get and would instead suggest buying an external Serial modem which requires no drivers at all and they tend to be much faster especially on older machines. something similar to this should do nicely.

+Quote Post
Corey
post Apr 2 2003, 08:59 AM
Post #3

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I have never set up a winmodem before, so I have absolutly no experience in the matter. So, I did a bit of searching, and instead of telling you exactly what to do, I pulled together a few links that will hopefully help you:

www.linmodems.org
Drivers for Conexant Chips
LinModem-HOWTO

Sorry I couldn't help you any further, but it's been about 4 years since i've dealt with dial-up modems, and that was just a simple isapnp configure.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 11:42 PM