Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Partitioning Probles, Red hat linux 8 - allocating partitions
gerhardt5
post Mar 26 2003, 01:14 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 591

When i install and have to partition, whether i choose automatic or druid (i havent tried fdisk, it said its for 'experts', so i stayed away ) no matter what i try to do, i always end up with a 'could not allocate partitions as primary partitions'.

Any help would be appreciated, i got 2 hard drives, one with 5gb free, the other with 217mb free, i chose personal or whatever it is, and it is supposed to come to about 1.2gb when installed so i must have enough space.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
patslap
post Mar 27 2003, 03:31 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 595

Hi there

I'm a newbie too, so I'm just guessing here, but I've just installed RedHat 8.0 today, and b4 you install, you need to use a partition shrinker called FIPS. Get FIPS.exe (and RESTORBB.exe and ERRORS.txt) from www somewhere (or email me and I'll send you them). Stick all 3 files on a floppy, defrag your hard drive, reboot to DOS, type a:fips.exe. FIPS will then shrink your existing partition (ie your Windows partition) and leave a new partition to be formatted. Or, instead of FIPS, just use Partition Magic instead which is nicer looking and less daunting.

Then stick your Redhat install CD in and reboot, and follow install procedure as you did b4, and select automatically partition, and then "keep all partitions and use existing space". This is the exact procedure I followed to install earlier today.

Now, if only I can get Linux to recognise my Conexant PCI modem........ Grrrrrr. Anyone help???

patslap
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 10:48 AM