Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Integrating Java With Mozilla Firefox, I need help
Carpaurion
post Oct 10 2005, 04:34 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,615

Can someone help me with integrating Java into Mozilla firefox? It recognizes that a plugin is needed, and I follow the required steps, but it never appears on the plugin list. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Or if you know some other browzer I can use that would be more useful that would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance

p.s. sorry if this was the wrong board to post this in
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Oct 11 2005, 05:38 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Your distribution most likely has a method for installing the mozilla-java plugin. Please tell us what linux distribution you are running, and perhaps it's just a quick command to get it installed for you.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post
bxa121
post Nov 4 2005, 09:32 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,706

i have the same problem but im using fedora project 4.

+Quote Post
slippage
post Dec 1 2005, 12:26 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,802

OH!! this same thing happended to me! it was a while ago, so i may be missing a step. hopefully somone else will be able to confirm this post.
i needed to use the terminal to fix it. it may be helpful to use your file manager along with the terminal, just so you can visualize what directory you're in. you'll also need root access. the command su will let you get it. be ultra super carefull not to delete anything as root, or else.
I'm guessing you ended up at http://java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp and don't know where to go.
It was pretty intimidating at the time, but it really isnt a problem. Just follow the instructions. one thing to keep in mind is that the instructions say jre1.5.0 a lot, when in reality, you probibly arent using that version. instead of typing the 1.5.0 part, use the numbers from the file you downloaded.

there are two main parts to the process. the first is to install the plugin, and the second is to link it to mozilla.
installing things in linux is nothing like installing things in windows. there isn't a registry in linux. in fact, with linux it's often just a case of getting the proper files into the right directory.
obviously, you need to download the thing. i was using fedora, so i went with the .rpm link. you end up with a file that ends in .bin. our goal for this first part is to get the files inside that .bin into their home -- /usr/java/jre1.5.0

next, you need to run it. you may have to make it executable, i cant remember if i had to. clicking it should work. it will make a file -- jre-1_5_0-linux-i586.rpm. running this file will put the plugins where they belong.

ok, so on to the second part. we need to make a symbolic link in the firefox folder. a symbolic link is sort of like a shortcut in windows, except that programs can follow it too. first we need to get to your firefox directory. it may be in /usr/lib/mozilla. or it could be in /usr/lib/firefox. you may even have both, or more than one of either, with different version numbers. you will know if you are in the right one, because it has a subdirectory called /plugins. cd into that one.

now, it's time to make the link. type
CODE
ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
ln tells your computer you want to make a link. -s tells it what kind of link to make (we want a soft link). the /usr/java... part says exactly what file we want to link to. remember to put in the right version number. if you look at this folder using your file manager, you should be able to see weither or not the link is broken. if it is, obviously something went wrong.

the last step is to select the option to enable java (in firefox) and then restart firefox. hopefully everything will have worked out. sorry my instructions are so vague, and i hope this helps

+Quote Post
cagey cretin
post Dec 2 2005, 08:13 AM
Post #5

./configure

Member No.: 1,413

QUOTE (slippage @ Dec 1 2005, 12:26 AM)
the last step is to select the option to enable java (in firefox) and then restart firefox. hopefully everything will have worked out. sorry my instructions are so vague, and i hope this helps

Ah!!!! That was the one step I missed!!! wacko.gif

Thanks!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 11:59 PM