Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My / Partitions Memory Is Dissappearing?, Help my system has something wrong?
cklellie
post Mar 23 2003, 06:43 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 575

I seem to have a problem with my / partition, is free disk space is getting smaller and smaller!!
I am doing nothing and the disk space is going down? Do i have a replecating-virus or something? or what? Please help me as i dont know whats going on?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Mar 24 2003, 08:46 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

There are any number of things that could be causing this. It all depends on how big your hard drive (or / partition) is, and how much are you loosing each day. Linux does keep an extensive amount of log files, which can grow in size from day to day, however, most systems are equipt to rotate these log files and zip them up daily.

You can use the "du" command on each directory in your / partition and make a note of it's size and try the command again the next day and see where there is a considerable change.

Also, check and make sure you don't have anonymous ftp opened up. I noticed one day that my server was at 99% capacity, only to eventually find that anonymous ftp was open with upload abilities (!!), I don't know how this started, but there was an extensive amount of uploads from some user that was filling up my space.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 05:45 PM