Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Running Programs Across Computers
mankind117
post Mar 14 2003, 12:56 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 547

Hi,
I hope my question is easy to answer. I used to use AIX to log into other aix machines to run scientific software. I could log in and then run programs on my aix machine that required other graphsics windows to open such as graphing utilites.
However I am now using a linux box for this and when I try to run the same programs when logged in remotely on other unix machines from my linux box the window won't open for the program so I can't run it. What do I have to do to fix this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ahills
post Mar 21 2003, 09:38 AM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 552

If you're trrying to run a program in X, then you need to set up a VNC server on your Linux box. Go to the TightVNC web page and download their software on both computers and install it. Log on to your linux box (remotely if you want to) and type:
CODE
vncserver -geometry {width}x{height} -depth {color depth}
So, for instance, you want 16 bit color with an 800 by 600 desktop, you type:
CODE
vncserver -geometry 800x600 -depth 16
and it will return something like
CODE
New X Desktop is :1 on 192.168.0.23
. Now you open VNC Viewer on your other computer by typing
CODE
vncviewer {ip address}:{port}
where ip address is the ip of your linux box and port is the number after the colon that the computer printed after using vncserver. For instance:
CODE
vncviewer 192.168.0.23:1
to match up with my earlier example. When the X Server loads, you can run any program in X that works. Another way to access the VNC Server is to type:
CODE
http://{ipaddress}:580{#}/
where ip address is the ip of your linux box and # is the port number previously mentioned. For instance:
CODE
http://192.168.0.23:5801/
in a browser will open an applet for it.

I hope I made this clear.

+Quote Post
Corey
post Mar 24 2003, 08:59 AM
Post #3

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

VNC is one way to go, but you can use the built in features of the X server as well. If you use ssh to login to the remote computer, you can use ssh's built-in X-forwarding option that tells the remote computer to forward all X information to your box.

As well, you can setup xdm (kdm,gdm) to allow you to get a login screen remotely for a system. There are several guides on the internet for this, just do a goole search for "Remote X login".

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 09:49 AM