Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Linux Book Sought
carpark
post Jul 11 2005, 07:20 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,255

I have dabbled in Linux for a couple of years now and most of my knowledge has been gained in a reactive way. I bought some Linux disks, inserted them, and have been flying by the seat of my pants ever since. By reactive learning I mean every time I got a problem, I had to solve it somehow. This website has been invaluable when doing this.

I would now like to develop my Linux foundation knowledge and am looking for a book to help. Instead of clicking away at GUIs, I want to start learning how to really use Linux. I want to gain control of my command line. I can create and edit files with text editors, carry out basic command line tasks and have basic C++ and Java programming experience in a Linux environment.

What is a kernel and what does it do, how to compile a kernel, how to interact with the kernel, how to compile new apps on a system, how X windows operates, how to I interact with X windows, how to create dual OS systems that my Microsoft OS does not interfere with, how to create basic networks, how to configure internet and network connections of various types, what is a tarball, how to configure hardware, what is a swap partition and what does it do, how are hard disks partitioned, why are Linux hard disks partitioned the way they are, what is a file system and how is it implemented, how is the Linux directory tree structured and why, how is a shell created, how are apps ported to Linux, what is the difference between Linux distros, what is a Linux server and how do you create one, what is Apache and how do you use it, how do you write and compile a shell program, how do you create a GUI launcher for an application written in C++ or Java, what is errata and what do you do with it, how do you backup a system and make use of the backup when a hard disk dies, etc etc etc.

These are the type of questions I'm asking myself. There are certainly many other basic concepts any Linux administrator worth his salt should understand. But I do not know what I should know. I could spend years researching each topic as it becomes relevant to me (ie a problem arises), but I have no direction in my travels. I want to make sure my basic training covers all the required areas.

Most books I have seen either assume you know nothing (Linux is an operating system, like Windows is an operating system), or start launching into Linux terminology riddled spiels that assume a fairly decent level of knowledge is held by the reader. There does not seem to much in between that provides the basics to a reasonable depth in plain language and provides tutorials and complete examples. I seek such a book.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Jul 12 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Well, there are many different ways of getting information. Our site, for example, has a wealth of information with regards to linux stuff. You may want to browse our wiki which has a lot of information on it that may answer some of your questions.

With regards to a book, i found the most usefull books out of all the ones i have are both from O'Reilly press

Running Linux

and

LPI Linux Certification in a Nutshell

While the second book sounds too technical, it's actually a really good book for teaching you a lot of the basics as well as a lot of command line programs and commands that you would need to use day-to-day in the linux command line. Personally i purchased this book to prepare myself for the LPI exams, but, i found it so great that I lend it to people that are looking to learn more about linux. It may be a bit technical at times, but is a great reference. I look back on it many times.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post
carpark
post Jul 14 2005, 03:39 AM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,255

Thanks Corey, I'll check it out.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 09:32 PM