Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Compile Error, No HD space left, now I can't reboot GUI
justa
post Mar 5 2003, 01:50 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 516

I've been slowly working on creating a firewall using Mandrake 9, Netfilter and the Bridge Utilities. I had everything working, except then bridge patch I ran didn't work.

I managed to get that patched, then recompiled however I now receive an error that there is no space left on the HD. I have two hard drives, a 2.2 Gig and an 8 Gig. The 2.2 has the O/S, and there is still a spare 6.2 on the second HD.

I was trying to remove some un-needed files to free up diskspace by deleting log files in /var/log and the files in /root/tmp/. It didn't appear to free up much, so I rebooted (not sure why I thought that would help).

Now it runs through the boot, but when it gets to the login screen the screen goes fuzzy, the monitor clicks, then it goes back to a command line with an error message about the mouse not recognized, clicks again, then goes back to the blurr, then back to the command line. It does this over and over again.

Is this a HD space problem? Is there anything I can do to avoid reinstalling AGAIN.

Thanks in advance,

Justa
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chrism01
post Mar 5 2003, 04:25 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 435

well, when you installed, it should have asked if you want to create a boot/rescue floppy. You should have said yes . If you did, boot from that and do B below. If no floppy, do A + B.

A
At the initlal boot (right at the start) enter
linux single
or
linux 1
this should get you into a console mode with minimal abilites, but as root.

B
Edit /etc/inittab and change
id:5:initdefault:
to
id:3:initdefault:
and reboot. That'll get you a full system in console mode smile.gif

--------------------
Cheers
Chris
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 03:32 PM