Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> New To Web-hosting, Where do I even begin?
pickwickian
post Apr 10 2005, 10:49 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,800

I finally got RedHat9 up and running, and I went out and bought Linux Network Administrators Guide thinking that it would tell me how to host a web page, create a LAN in my home office (three computers), etc. But after clueing me in on some basic terminology and networking history (eg., what does tcp/ip mean), it dove into a bunch of stuff that I couldn't really understand.

I want to:

1) Network the 3 computers in my home office together using my Linux machine as the gateway through which each reaches the other as well as the Internet.

2) Use the Linux machine as a router to connect my home network to the local cable company's broadband connection (this router needs to be able to handle the dynamic ip address handed to it from the cable company--both incoming as well as outgoing data, since I plan to host a web site)--and then to rout this data to my LAN without making my cable company charge me more money for more IP addresses (ie., I don't want a hub, I want a router).

3) Host a web site with my Linux box as server.

4) Do all of this securely.

I don't even think that I have Apache on my system. How do I check to see if I do? And is Apache the way to go? If I read up on Apache will I be able to do everything that I have mentioned? Is there some website that is the ultimate resource for dummies on this subject (a basic Google is giving me so many sites that I'm dying).

I know there's a way, and would be happy to be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks! huh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
pickwickian
post Apr 12 2005, 06:20 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,800

OK,

I can see that I have too many questions in the same topic (not to mention no one wants to talk about the ones that have nothing to do with Linux). I'll start a new thread after a little research.

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 04:58 PM