Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Can't Login To A User
neonland
post Mar 17 2005, 12:29 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,768

Sorry but I'm pretty new at this.. i'll do my best to explain my problem.

I use Suse 9.2 FTP and KDE. After putting in my username and password the screen goes black like it is going to startup but then just takes me back to the login screen.

I can still login under other users....

I've been trying to learn more about linux but this is a problem I've had two or three times now. I've just made new users, re-installed programs, re-setup my desktop under a new user. But I'm sick of doing that. Has to be a better way.

It happened yesterday. I installed the newest Wine, added a few Firefox Extentions, but nothing errored and seemed fine until I restarted (dual-boot... needed windows for some gaming) and then couldn't get back in.

THank you for any help and try to keep in mind I'm new to this so please be detailed on replies

Thanks again
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
joelkeeble
post Mar 22 2005, 03:07 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,579

im pretty sure the problem is to do with the ownership of your home folder. only way to be sure is to try to log in to the account in run level 3, type:

init 3

and try to log in as that user and you will get the error message post that here.

also try this, say the username is john, type:

chown john /home/john

that should work ::::::::smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 06:54 PM