Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Linux Mail Server, how to build mail server
sir_ade
post Feb 26 2003, 11:16 PM
Post #1

Grub-er

Group: Members
Member No.: 493

i want to know how to build a mail server and how to secure it. i'm using redhat 8.0 .thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Feb 27 2003, 03:33 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

This is a pretty ambigous (sp?) question, however, I will attempt to answer it.

The majority of distributions come with a mail server already setup and ready to go. When you refer to "secure it" what exactly do you mean? If you are running a local network and wish to restrict access from anyone on the internet to access the mailserver to retrieve, then you can just filter out the ports nessesary (such as 110 for pop). If you would like to continue to keep access open to the outside network, then you can use somwthing like uw-ipopd which has built in SSL (secure socket layers) support for encrypted information being retrieved. Redhat, I believe, comes with sendmail already configured and ready to go, so that can be used to send your email.

For a more detailed description on how to get this running, please refer to the mail administrators HOWTO.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 11:34 AM