Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Partition For Linux, How to create the correct partition
tenbob
post Mar 8 2005, 03:28 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,724

My second HD (F:) is empty 80G. and currently NTFS. Using Partition Magic, I want to partition it allowing 30G for RedHat (is that enough). When I use PM on that drive it reduces the F: to about 20G, creates a 30G partition and "unallocated" for the rest. That does not look right to me so I aborted the partitioning.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Mar 9 2005, 08:42 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

That seems right to me.

The easiest thing to do, if the drive is already empty, is to delete the current 80gig NTFS drive, then make a new 50 gig NTFS drive and leave the rest of it un-allocated. While still in windows, you can go ahead and format the newley created 50gig windows drive for NTFS. Then, when you go to install Redhat, the Redhat installer will use the 30gig unallocated space for it's install.

And yes, 30 gig should be plenty for an install unless you are planning to store a lot of large files in linux.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post
tenbob
post Mar 9 2005, 09:05 AM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,724

I'm a bit confused by that unallocated designation. Is that area usable? Does the system still see it (outside of Partition Magic)? Would not the LINUX installation ask where I wanted to install it and how to I tell it to go to that unallocated area if if has no letter assigned.? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Corey
post Mar 9 2005, 10:05 AM
Post #4

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

All PM does (as far as i know) is just section off your hard drive. If you tell PM to make a Windows partition that's 50 gig, i think it will just section it off and label it as Windows, but you still have to format it to place a filesystem on it.

Unallocated space is just space on the drive that has no designation yet. Yes, Linux and every other operating system can read this. When Redhat installs, it should create a 'suggestive' partition design by using this un-allocated space. When the install finishes, Redhat will be after further sectioning this unallocating space and "formatting" it to a Linux filesystem.

To answer your question directly, No, unallocated space is not usuable untill a filesystem like NTFS, FAT32, ext2, ext3, etc is placed on it.

When you purchase a hard drive new, it should be all un-allocated.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 06:00 PM