Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Glut/gl Missing Includes And Static Libs.. :(, Graphics programming
impress
post Mar 6 2005, 01:51 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,735

Hello everyones!

I manage to have my PC running Linux SUSE 9.2 and get rid of the windoze os. I can compile and run an hello world program in a shell.. but now I want to move to the next level... by trying the Hello World sample from the OpenGL red book.

The problem it's that I don't have any GLUT/OpenGL includes files in my machine! sad.gif I took a look in /usr/include/GL and I got only gle.h.. no glut.h file! In fact, I output all files on my HD and I search for anything with glut.. I found only dynamic library (.so) which can be used by the program once it's compiled.

I also check on the sourceforge web site... but that seem an older version than the one I have on my system...!? And, after trying.. I got several errors trying to do the make operations. And I figure that maybe it's not the proper way of installing it on SUSE distribution.

best regards,
impress
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
impress
post Mar 9 2005, 09:19 AM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,735

Okay, I manage to found the solution! smile.gif

So, for people who install Linux SUSE like me and wonder why they don't have any include or library files installed.. In fact, you need extra packages which are not on the DVD (at least with SUSE 9.2).

However, those packages are availables on Linux SUSE FTP site.

I needed to install the following packages (available under /i586, I am using 32-bit SUSE 9.2 for i386):

freeglut-devel*.rpm
fontconfig-devel-*.rpm
xorg-x11-devel*.rpm
xorg-x11-Mesa-devel*.rpm

Now, I get a window open with some OpenGL inside it! smile.gif

my next question.. now that I can do some OpenGL stuff, I am looking for a function to retrieve time with a precision of at least 1ms... I try clock() from time.h.. but even if it claim that the precision seem to be micro-seconds... when I use the value in my program, the animation is not smooth at all.. which make me think that it return huge number but lot's of zero...

for Sound, which library should I use? I heard about OSS and ALSA? Seem like ALSA is better than OSS but maybe there's one very standard on Linux.

regards,
impress
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 01:59 AM