Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dual Install, Linux and Xp Pro
shakim
post Feb 25 2003, 01:28 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 482

I just built a computer with XP-pro OS. Now, I want to move away from Microsoft so I want to learn Linux. I just bought a copy of Red Hat distro. Can I install this on my computer and keep both OSs. I know I have to partion my Hard Drive using partion Magic first, right. Is there a site where it can lay it out for me in a step by step manner? I really want to learn linux.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mrstirs
post Feb 26 2003, 04:33 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 484

Hey,

Have a look at http://www.redhat.com/docs/ - its got a pretty comprehensive installation guide!

cool.gif

+Quote Post
chrisw
post Feb 26 2003, 11:36 AM
Post #3

RMS is my Hero

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5

when you said you bought a copy of rh8.0

you mean you bought a boxed set at a store?

if so have you read the manuals that were in
that box?

--------------------

Chris W.

+Quote Post
sirotz
post Feb 26 2003, 02:54 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 487

I know what it is like reading though all of the crap to find out what you need so let me see if I can break it down for you.

1. install partition manager on xp.
2. CLick on resize existing partion
3. Follow the on screen instructions(you should be able to figure it out it's pretty straight forward)
4. If you can just leave the extra space as unformated I would do it. If not (if your a noob to linux like me) I wouldn't format it with the proper linux partitions just use fat.
5. Restart
6. Let partition magic load up at the XP start, then restart again with your red hat disc.
7. Follow the onscreen directions and select format empty space or your fat partition.
8. As for the boot loader, if you want to use the one with red hat make sure to choose format to MBR NOT primary partition(only do this if you want to use the NT loader with windows, be sure to make a bootdisk if you do this)
9. Finish on screen installation and restart. You should see the option to either boot to win or redhat

note: If you don't have much on your puter I would just throw in the xp installation disk and delete your Hardive. Then press c to create on unacollated(spelling?) space to create your first partition then with the space left over create another. Don't format the second partition(should be D: now). Just move back up to c and install xp on your c drive.

note2: I am a total noob to linux. I tried Red Hat 8.0 and had no luck. It wouldn't detect my network card and I couldn't open the hardware manager(heard it was a bug). I also tried Mandrake and liked it but was to dumb to grasp it. Now I am using Xandros and I love it!!!! IT is perfect if you are just starting to learn linux concepts.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 06:32 PM