Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bootdisk
post Feb 2 2005, 03:57 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,613

I'm new to the Linux community and have been reading up to get started. I read somewhere that you could either boot from the CD or make a floppy boot disk.

My question is, what file(s) should I put in the floppy boot disk? I know how to make a standard boot disk, but is this any different?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Feb 2 2005, 06:51 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Well, it all depends. If you're creating a bootdisk for the install (because either you don't have a bootable cdrom, or you're doing a net install), you can get the boot instructions from the cdrom itself (usually in a /boot directory or in a README file), or from the distributions FTP site in a similar directory.

If you are creating a boot disk for a system you already have installed, you're distribution should come with a script to help you out. Usually it's called mkbootdisk or something like that.

Corey Quilliam
(former) Administrator

Want to help out Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2018 - 11:44 AM