Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mandrake 10 On A Dell Notebook, Installing Linux for 1st time, need help
Gaedtyr
post Nov 24 2004, 03:30 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,219

Hope to get some headway here.

Have been trying to install and run Mandrake 10 on a Dell Inspiron 9100 notebook without success. The ntbk is running windozexp. Being very new to Linux, and after a lot of reading and research online (Dell does not support Linux!), I am still heading nowhere.

Installing Mandrake proved problematic..... what drivers? Which versions? Also, the partition procedure only allowed me to create a very small partition for Linux, which made me wonder why it this was so, as I could not install all the options for Mandrake.

Booting up created more problems, the screen was filled with text, many reading that devices were not found... and halfway thru, the system emitted a very loud and shrill sound, like an alarm. Only way to stop it was to cut the power to the system. Nothing seems to enable me to boot into Linux at all.

Any ideas and suggestions would be very much appreciated. Much of the info I have found leads me to think that booting into Linux differs vastly from one system to the next, so this is really difficult for me (tech dumb).

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
russ_m9
post Nov 24 2004, 05:46 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,170

here is what i would do in your case if i were you:

1. if mandrake will not work shop around try diffrent distros some are more compatible with things like notebooks and OEM vendors that are hard to find Linux solutions to

2. before installing any distro use windows to identify all the hardware builtin to your note book and write it down, that way if your looking at potential distro see if it supports your hardware and if it supports some but not all then start looking for drivers that will support the rest seprately.

3. once steps 1, and 2 are done then install the distro(s) that you found to be more compatible than the others and see which one you like the best and go with that distro.

I know it sounds like a lot of work but it is not as bad as you think and at the same time you learn a lot about linux along the way but in the end you will have a working system that you can be proud of.

If you need more help later then hey come on back and ask away help is always free thank god for that smile.gif

Scincerly
Russell Morton

+Quote Post
Gaedtyr
post Nov 24 2004, 10:52 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,219

Thanks Russell,

I will take note of your points and will make a list of the hardware and versions.... actually I have tried that once, but all the drivers listed in windows pointed to some obscure windows driver file.

I do agree that the process of building the system from the ground up will help me learn more about the Linux environment. Will post my progress in case anyone else using Dell might wanna try this.

+Quote Post
russ_m9
post Nov 24 2004, 11:24 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,170

I look forward to hearing about it as myself was thinking about a notebook computer either from dell or Compaq both have some nice ones with the ATI 9800se Chipsets in it.

Oh and when i said to find out what windows calls it i meant as in : maker, model Number things like that not the driver that windows uses becuse linux based drivers will be labled with that info instead of being just driver a for modem b kinda format.

Scincerly
Russell Morton.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 12:49 PM