Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cannot See Computers On Network, Liux Network Troubles
ZhiYi
post Feb 8 2003, 11:09 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 332

Hi !
I am using Redhat Linux 8.0 on my 2 pcs. They are installed with Realtek network cards and i connected these 2 pcs with cross cable.

I used the Network setup program in redhat linux 8 to activate the 2 network cards respectively. The specifications of the first ethernet card is as follows : IP Address: 169.254.156.54
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
HostName: localhost.localdomain
HostAddress: 127.0.0.1

The specifications for the 2nd ethernet card is:
IP address: 169.254.61.56
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
HostName: localhost.localdomain
HostAddress:127.0.0.1

I got the IP address and subnet mask information for the 2 cards using windows. However, after activating the 2 network cards, I do not know whether the 2 computers are successfully connected.

So, may I know how to check whether the 2 computers can 'see' each other on the network? Is there any program or window which allows us to see and acess other computers on the network ( like Network Neighbourhood in win98 ) in the linux GUI ? Or is there any command to be used in the terminal to check whether the 2 computers are successfully connected ? Lastly, are the specifications given above correct ?

Please reply quickly if you can. Thanks !!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
geprobert
post Feb 11 2003, 07:33 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 434

Hello,

I am trying to do almost exactly the same thing myself! I don't want to share internet connections, files, printers or anything like that - I just want two Linux PC's to be able to speak to each other, so that I can do some network programming using sockets. But the only help guides I can find don't seem to answer my questions (not saying that isn't my fault though!).

Anyway, I think that a way of seing of the two computers are linked successfully would be to try and PING one from the other. Open a terminal window and enter the command:

ping 169.254.156.5(4 or 6)

and it should come back with some results. If it says "connection timed out" 4 times, then they aren't talking. But hopefully it will come back with "Reply from 169.254.156.5x..." 4 times - which would mean they are talking!

Anyway, I hope this works for you - I'm about to post a message myself!

+Quote Post
chrism01
post Feb 12 2003, 12:11 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 435

Personally, i'd give them different names as well as diff ip addresses. Then you'll get more sense from such things as ping, traceroute etc. Also, it'd enable you to use DNS eventually.

Cheers
Chris

--------------------
Cheers
Chris

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 08:30 PM