Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Top 10 Reasons To Use Firefox
Corey
post Nov 8 2004, 10:21 AM
Post #1

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

We all know that in the past 6 months, Mozilla Firefox has gained considerable ground in the so-called browser wars. In celebration of the Firefox 1.0 release set for tomorrow, I thought I would put in my little bit of insight as to the top 10 reasons why you (if you aren't already) should be using Firefox:

1. Free
- As in speech and beer. You can download the source code to Firefox and do what you like with it.

2. Secure
- Unlike it's competitor, IE, Firefox doesn't integrate itself into the core operating system which means it's safe to use.
- Security holes are found and patched quickly
- Has a built in update feature that displays a small icon next to the browser progress meter in the top right hand corner.

3. Fast
- There are several reasons for the speed, but the biggest is lack of code bloat. Many things are left out of Firefox for a reason, which brings me to my next point...

4. Extensable
- Firefox leaves a lot out of it's browser, but that doesn't mean it's lacking. With a few clicks of a button, you can download any number of extensions to add to your browser experience. My favorites include: BlogThis, TinyURL Generator, FoxyTunes, GMail Notifier and AdBlock

5. Cross-Platform
- You can run Firefox on MacOSX, Linux and Windows, and it looks pretty much the same all the time (though the fonts look ugly for me in Linux)

6. LiveBookmarks
- Do you visit Slashdot alot? How about Distrowatch? Newsforge? etc. Well, when you visit one of these pages, you'll notice a little icon in the far right corner of the status bar. By clicking on this, you can create a live bookmark for a site (i place mine on the bookmark toolbar), which means that when you click on the bookmark, you'll get an updated listing of news for that site. Quite useful indeed.

7. Alternate Page Styles
- This is something I noticed this morning while visiting Novell's website. In the bottom right hand corner, there was a little paintbrush, and when I clicked on it, it allowed me to switch between Normal and Printer Friendly page styles of the page. Very neat! (to see for yourself, http://download.novell.com)

8. Download Manager
- This is such a nice little tool, I don't know what I would do without it. It's nothing overally fancy, but it's just so much more intuitive then the IE windows popping up in your taskbar.

9. Tabbed Browsing
- You thought I forgot it didn't you? Yes, tabbed browsing is not unique to Firefox, many other browsers have it, except for IE. Which, the majority of new Firefox users will be migrating from. Basically, for those who don't know, it opens up different browser windows in tabs rather then in seperate windows. In my experiences, this lowered the memory needs and caused less clutter than IE.

10. Themes
- Firefox is very themable and there are some very nice themes out there. Personally, I use Noia (eXtreme), and like it a lot.

There are several more features that are unqiue to Firefox that I haven't mentioned. If you know of any, please, post below.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 06:44 PM