Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mandrake 9.0 Configuration Problems.
niall0s
post Feb 5 2003, 09:43 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 414

Hi Everybody,

I recently installed Mandrake 9.0 on a PC to act as a file & print server on our local network and also to act as an internet gateway and firewall. The installation went smoothly but I've run into some following problems and as a relative newbie to the world of Linux configuration i really need some help.

The PC has two network cards installed which are now named eth0 and eth1. Eth0 is connected to the internal network and eth1 is connected to an Ethernet DSL modem.

The eth0 connection to the internet via the DSL modem is working fine. I shared this connection to the internal network using the connection sharing wizard in the mandrake control centre and configured the network card eth1 to act as a DHCP server. This also worked fine as all the PC's on the lan (which have either Win XP or Win 2000 installed) recieve thier IP address and DNS server addresses automatically.

Now to the Problems wink.gif

I configured samba using the server configuration wizard in the mandrake control center. There is no domain controller on the network so i used a group called mdkgroup. Now in the network neighborhood on the windows PC's i can see the Linux server but cannot access it. If i point a web browser to its internal ip address it brings up the site homeland.net. If i go back to the internet connection sharing wizard and choose an advanced install i can see that when configuring the DHCP server it asks for (This) DHCP Server IP, The DNS Server IP and the internal domain name. At the moment they are set to 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.1 and homeland.net so this is where i think i have a problem. What i'd like to know is how i can set things up so i can access the Linux box correctly from windows PC's.

Another Problem i'm having is i have a web server configured on one of the windows PC's behind the Linux Gateway, i set up a firewall using the wizard in the control center and set it to allow TCP requests on port 80 through. The problem is i don't know how to route these requests to the Pc with the web server on it.

I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give me on these issues.

Niall
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 12:43 PM