Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need Help With Nic Installation On Mandrake 10!, Need help with NIC installation
pwmort84z
post Oct 28 2004, 05:09 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,055

I just installed Mandrake Linux v10.0 a few hours ago, and I cannot install my NIC driver. It is not a driver that Mandrake comes pre-installed with, however Marvell (the manufacturer of my motherboard's built-on NIC) has a website with a linux driver download. The driver was made with kernel 2.6, and when I run it, it says my version is 3.3, so the software won't run. I also tried the - MISMATCH (or something like that) switch, and it doesnt seem to do anything to the automated install program. All of the files needed for the driver install are in a single .tar file. PLEASE HELP!

Thanks,
Paul
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Oct 29 2004, 07:03 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

What is the motherboard model number ... and the board manufacturer. The best I can tell, Marvell makes network controllers, that are integrated with other companies motherboards ... but they don't make motherboards themselves.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
pwmort84z
post Oct 30 2004, 07:16 PM
Post #3

Right, the motherboard is an ASUS K8N-E Deluxe. Just the built on NIC is from Marvell.

Thanks again,
Paul

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Oct 31 2004, 06:05 AM
Post #4

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

OK,

Your motherboard is an NFORCE3 board, which means you have an AMD64 processor. You need to know if you installed an X86_64 version of Mandrake (AMD64) or a x86 version of Mandrake (32bit). I looked for an X86_64 version and it seems Mandrake 9.0 is the latest version that supports X86_64 ... so you probably downloaded the x86 version of the iso. I will assume you have the x86 version.

I downloaded this file from ASUS:
http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock754/K8...X/K8N_Linux.zip

After looking at the driver, I noticed that it is an older version of the NVIDIA Nforce drivers. So, I would recommend that you use the latest NVIDIA drivers instead. You can get the x86 version HERE. (If you are running an X86_64 version of Linux, that version of the driver is HERE ... but I think you are using x86)
-----------------------
All commands that follow are as the user root in a command terminal ... you can get this by opening a terminal window, and if you aren't logged in as root already, issue the command:

su - root

...then use your root password.
----------------------

You will need the kernel-source installed, to see if it is, use the command:

rpm -q kernel-source

If the result is (the number might be different):
kernel-source-2.6.3-19mdk

If the result is package kernel is not installed, then issue the command:

urpmi kernel-source

You should be prompted for a CD and kernel-source installed.

Once it is installed, you need to verify the number of the kernel source and kernel packages match your booted kernel ... do this:

rpm -qa | grep kernel

Mine says this:
kernel-source-2.6.3-19mdk
kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.6.3.19mdk-1-1mdk

Yours can be different ... if installed off the CDs, it will probably say:

kernel-source-2.6.3-7mdk
kernel-2.6.3.7mdk-1-1mdk

Next you want to make sure you booted off that kernel, use the comamnd:
uname -r

My result is:
2.6.3-19mdk-i686-up-4GB

yours should probably be:
kernel-2.6.3.7mdk

If that is what you have, you can get the latest driver from the x86 page above ... currently it is:

NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0292-pkg1.run

Put the file in a directory ... then cd to that directory.

do the command:

chmod 755 NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0292-pkg1.run

then do:

sh NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0292-pkg1.run

follow the instructions in the installer to compile the drivers.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
pwmort84z
post Oct 31 2004, 04:22 PM
Post #5

Thanks so much. I followed your directions and everything went very smoothly. Finally I have my network card working!! Thanks again for the great advice!

Paul

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 06:24 AM